Happy Lent!

3:43 PM

I guess "Happy Lent" is not the usual sentiment that one hears at this time of year... But even though Lent is a season of penance, marked by somber imagery and meditations on the suffering and death of Jesus, it's also a season that is meant to lead us to the joy of Easter Sunday - and that, I think, deserves a cheerful salutation!

Of all the meditations on the significance of the Lenten season that I read yesterday, the one that I enjoyed most was from Robert F. Dueweke, OSA, who wrote in the February "Living With Christ" missal:
"Ashes indicate there was once fire. The fire is now gone. We go to the source to be inflamed again. God is fire; without God, we are ashes."
I loved these lines because they reminded me of the inherently positive purpose of Lent. The three pillars of Lenten activity - prayer, fasting, and charity - are meant ultimately to rekindle the flame of God's love in our souls, which leads to true and lasting joy.

So this Lent, I'm trying to focus less on what I'm "giving up" and more on the parts of my life where the fire of God's love has gone out. Something I've been noticing recently is that my desire to serve my sisters and brothers totally and selflessly (which inspired me to apply for JVC in the first place) has been dwindling. Before this year, I would dedicate a few hours a week to service. That time was a welcome break from my other responsibilities, and taught me the joy that comes from being truly present to the needs of others. For so long, I yearned for a job that would allow me to live in this spirit of joyful service full-time.

Yet now that I have such a job, I'm learning that service isn't always joyful - sometimes, it's nothing more than frustrating! After a long day of dealing with housing authorities and welfare offices, I struggle to respond with openness and compassion to the clients who cross my path as I am trying to leave the shelter. I begin to feel imposed upon by the very people I am here to help. Even when confronted with a client whose "crisis" really can wait until the morning, I find myself speaking words that are far too short in a tone that is far too harsh.

This Lent, I pray that God will reignite the flame of loving service in my soul. And to all of my sisters and brothers in Christ who are also observing this season of penance, I pray that in your every act of prayer, fasting, and charity, God will send forth the breath of the Holy Spirit across the embers of your soul and rekindle within you the love that knows no limits.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Long View

We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. This enables us to do something, and to do it very well. It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest. We may never see the end results, but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker. We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs. We are prophets of a future not our own.

~Archbishop Oscar Romero

The Credo Project

Prayer for Generosity

Lord, teach me to be generous
Teach me to serve you as you deserve
To give and not to count the cost
To fight and not to heed the wounds
To toil and not to seek for rest
To labor and not to ask for reward
Save that of knowing that I am doing your will

~St. Igantius of Loyola