Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash (ish)

9:27 PM


Linking up with the fabulous Dwija of House Unseen - check out some much better recipes here!

love the crock pot. We don't use it as much as we could - maybe once a week. But when we do, it is just wonderful to throw some ingredients together the night before/in the morning and come home to a fully cooked meal.

We're not great about following recipes, which maybe makes me a poor candidate for a recipe link-up. I'd rather follow a general template (main ingredients + variable spices + variable accompaniments), working with what we have in the kitchen on a given day. What follows is more of a rough outline than a line-by-line recipe...but maybe it will work for someone!

Chicken Paprikash(ish) Soup*
Serves 2 adults + 1 toddler over several days

Ingredients:
6-8 bone-in chicken thighs (boneless would probably work as well)
1 quart chicken stock
Vegetables of choice (I like onion, garlic, golden beets, carrots and mushrooms)
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt, pepper, paprika + other spices of choice (I like tandoori and sazon)

Directions:
1. (Optional) Night before - Marinate chicken thighs in spices
I like to heavily spice the chicken, since the coconut milk will lend a milder flavor to the soup overall. You can skip this step, but I have been more pleased with the results when I do take the time to marinate.


2. Chop vegetables and saute in olive oil with salt, pepper, paprika and other spices until just starting to soften

Again, I like to go heavy on the spices with this step. Don't saute for too long, since the vegetables will be cooking for a while in the crock pot.


3. Mix sauteed vegetables, chicken thighs, and chicken stock together in the crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Those times are definitely estimates. Go with what usually works for cooking chicken in your particular crock pot.


4. After chicken thighs have cooked, shred meat and remove bones.

I just use two forks to shred the meat and fish out the bones...there's probably a fancier way to do it that I don't know about.


5. Add coconut milk and stir. Keep on low for 30-60 minutes, then serve or keep warm!

I think this is the most important step! The coconut milk is what makes this dish delicious - it thickens up the broth and adds a mildly sweet flavor that when paired with the spices is quite tasty (in my opinion, at least).

*I haven't had much chicken paprikash in my life, and this dish is probably not really like most chicken paprikash...or maybe it is, I wouldn't really know! It's loosely modeled after a chicken paprikash soup my husband likes from a local restaurant.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Long View

We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. This enables us to do something, and to do it very well. It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest. We may never see the end results, but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker. We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs. We are prophets of a future not our own.

~Archbishop Oscar Romero

The Credo Project

Prayer for Generosity

Lord, teach me to be generous
Teach me to serve you as you deserve
To give and not to count the cost
To fight and not to heed the wounds
To toil and not to seek for rest
To labor and not to ask for reward
Save that of knowing that I am doing your will

~St. Igantius of Loyola