G update: 18 months

10:47 AM


G had her 18-month well child check this morning. Her current stats:

Length: 33 inches (85%tile)
Weight: 25.1 pounds (85%tile)

She is a big girl - but very proportionate!

G was in a very friendly mood and hardly fussed at all during the exam. Her physical and behavioral development is right on track. She is walking and running, talking up a storm (with a growing number of intelligible words), and is interested and engaged in the world around her. The one challenge we have is to cut back on her milk intake - she basically drinks milk ad lib throughout the day, taking in between 28-32 oz (well above the recommended 12-14 oz!) We'll be trying to substitute water during meals and snacks, saving those precious few cups of milk for wake-up and bed-time.

It's always a bit of a strange experience to take G to the pediatrician. I feel like I should know everything about the expected growth and development of a toddler, as well as have a differential ready for any concerns that are raised. If the pediatrician brings up something - a physical finding or behavioral issue - that I haven't noticed, I feel like I've missed something huge on an H&P. I have to keep reminding myself that in that office my primary role is parent, not medical student - I'm there to report how G is doing on a daily basis and to bring up concerns that might get missed during a quick visit. I don't have to have all the answers, and it's okay to ask questions or be uncertain about milestones...I'm not her doctor (nor should I be).

Anyway! G is now happily at daycare, playing with all her pals. Mom hat off, medical student hat on. I am headed to clinic, where I do need to remember those specifics of behavior and development, physiology and pharmacology (etc, etc, etc). But I'll be thinking of my girl all day...I guess the mom hat never quite comes all the way off.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Long View

We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. This enables us to do something, and to do it very well. It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest. We may never see the end results, but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker. We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs. We are prophets of a future not our own.

~Archbishop Oscar Romero

The Credo Project

Prayer for Generosity

Lord, teach me to be generous
Teach me to serve you as you deserve
To give and not to count the cost
To fight and not to heed the wounds
To toil and not to seek for rest
To labor and not to ask for reward
Save that of knowing that I am doing your will

~St. Igantius of Loyola