Out and About

10:30 PM

Today was a great Sunday; beautiful weather after a few days of rain, and nothing important to get done! This morning I went for a run in Fairmount Park, which is about a mile from our house. It was really nice to get a little time in nature in the midst of the city, and to be reminded of how blessed I am to be able to walk amongst God's creation, all of which praises God just by being what God made it to be. Mornings like this make me marvel at the wonder of a Being Who orders both the white-hot furnaces of the stars and the elegant exchange of molecules in our bloodstreams - Who is more immense than our mind can conceive, yet so very close to each one of our hearts.














Later in the afternoon, two of my housemates and I walked down to Reading Terminal Market to buy some fresh produce. The market has a great selection of local and organic food, plus ethnic snack bars and free wi-fi. Not to mention some pretty cheap fruit and veggies - we spent a grand total of $12 for a week's worth of produce (helped by the fact that we still look enough like students to get automatic student discounts!)

Tonight we attended a 6:30 pm Mass at Old St. Joseph's church in Old City, the oldest Catholic church in Philadelphia, founded in 1733 by our beloved Jesuits. It seems like it draws a pretty young crowd, and the music was nice - but overall, no real sparks, for me at least. I think we might be sticking with it though, just for the excuse to venture into a nicer part of the city once a week! Church shopping is hard, especially because the last church I was part of I absolutely loved. But I think that part of this year is going to be about living into the Jesuit idea of finding God in all things - in my community, in the people I encounter at work, in the choices I am faced with daily. I love the ritual and tradition of the Mass, and know that Christ is present to us in a special way in the Eucharist, but I hope that this year I can be open enough and vulnerable enough to meet God everywhere that God is in this world.

On the way home from church we made a pit stop at Pat's (http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/), apparently the original producer of Philly cheese steaks. They seemed pretty serious about their cheese steaks, so I decided it was safer to not attempt to place a vegetarian order... Finding a vegetarian cheese steak will just have to be on my list of things to do before leaving Philadelphia!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Katie,

    You sound like you are doing well and are happy! I hope everything keeps going well...and that you find the vegetarian cheese steak =)
    love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

The Long View

We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. This enables us to do something, and to do it very well. It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest. We may never see the end results, but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker. We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs. We are prophets of a future not our own.

~Archbishop Oscar Romero

The Credo Project

Prayer for Generosity

Lord, teach me to be generous
Teach me to serve you as you deserve
To give and not to count the cost
To fight and not to heed the wounds
To toil and not to seek for rest
To labor and not to ask for reward
Save that of knowing that I am doing your will

~St. Igantius of Loyola