Kids!

10:04 AM

There's nothing like a visit from two toddlers to brighten your mood on a workday morning! I just had the pleasure of entertaining two such persons in my office here at the shelter. They just wandered in while their mothers were speaking with their case managers, and we shared a few happy moments together.

I've been struggling a bit these past few days. Absorbing twenty-plus hours worth of depressing statistics about DV, all while trying to manage my own emotional response to that information, has had me wondering at times what good any of us can really do. But little children always make me feel so hopeful; they embody the promise of new life, of future promise. All they wanted was my attention for the moment, and that I could readily provide.

Today I'm so grateful that the shelter is here to provide safe haven for these children and their mothers. I'm learning in my training that interventions like DV shelters are not nearly enough to solve the problem of domestic violence, or to target its root causes, but also that they are desperately needed in our present reality. Today I'm grateful to be here, amidst people who are struggling against forces too often outside of their control. I'm grateful to be present enough to entertain two toddlers, to smile at the shelter's guests and say good morning, to help create a modicum of safety and stability in lives that have been unjustly subject to danger and chaos.

We cannot do everything, but we can do something, and hopefully, do it well...

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Katie, it sounds like a great, yet emotionally difficult...but still rewarding...experience! I'm becoming one of your avid blog readers, we miss you!

    ReplyDelete

The Long View

We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. This enables us to do something, and to do it very well. It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest. We may never see the end results, but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker. We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs. We are prophets of a future not our own.

~Archbishop Oscar Romero

The Credo Project

Prayer for Generosity

Lord, teach me to be generous
Teach me to serve you as you deserve
To give and not to count the cost
To fight and not to heed the wounds
To toil and not to seek for rest
To labor and not to ask for reward
Save that of knowing that I am doing your will

~St. Igantius of Loyola